Monday, January 26, 2009

Proud Moment in History!


So... I was there. And it was amazing! To see such a proud, hopeful and beautiful moment in American history was absolutely indescribable. Standing in on the Mall with 1.2 million other people changed my life. The feeling of renewal, the feeling of a fresh start and the feeling of an opportunity for an entire community that had felt apathetic towards our political system coming together and watching with great pride as they were finally able to relate to someone in the White House.

All political debates aside, all talk of past administrations and incoming administrations aside, here were a group of folks (1.2 million just on the mall alone) coming together to watch history before our very eyes, the energy was crazy amazing! Never before have I felt so much warmth from strangers. The city was alive with the excitement of a new day in American history.

I have never before visited our nations capital, which is strange because I am so involved in politics. The monuments were beautiful and breath taking. I got yelled at by the secret police!!! So much fun, I guess I should not have crossed that fence, eh?

Standing in the World War II memorial with the hush of those who sacrificed their lives around me was the most painful and beautiful moment in my life. Stepping out of the Holocaust museum and feeling so helpless and incapable in the face of such horror, gave me a sense of responsibility to my fellow human beings, not just in my country, not just on my continent, but all around my world. I pray that we do not have to face something so horrible in our lives, but should we be confronted with social injustice of any kind we need to stand up and stop such things.

I do not know what my role in the story of our country or our earth will be, but I do know that it starts today, tomorrow and every morning that I am blessed to wake up. Living in a free country we do NOT realize just how incredibly blessed we are. Let us not forget that there are others who are not given the opportunities that we are given, let us always remember that given a simple geographical shift, we could find ourselves in that same boat.

Well that is awfully depressing reading! But there is always Hope, Hope that we can build a better future, and that Hope begins in your and my heart.

Take Care,
B-Involved...
Ed.

PS... there is a new feature to the blog... in an effort to support thankfulness in my own life, I have decided to include in every blog, a random thank you for simple acts of kindness that I see through out my journeys.
So

BE THANKFUL
- Thank you to Alicia, a waitress at Cracker Barrel who was patient with my mother as she took her time figuring out what to order a week ago Friday, also thank you for all the lemons!

I leave you with a picture shot just before I got chastised by the Secret Police... Enjoy!

No comments: